[Slackbuilds-users] anyone comtemplating a lightweight vim build?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Sep 22 22:02:09 UTC 2006

Grant wrote:

> Raises an interesting issue, I believe all add-on packages to a distro
> are site specific, therefore belong in /usr/local, it is the correct place
> according to the <whatsit> standard.

Well, that's not (IMHO) so well established.  From what I've read
of the FHS, locally compiled software (not packaged) goes into
/usr/local, while packaged software does not.  Based on that, and
since we're building packages with SlackBuild scripts, /usr/local
would not be appropriate (again, IMHO).  Of course, one could
argue that /usr is only for the base system, and all add-ons go
to /usr/local.  What to do?  :)

> Slack does some things 'the old way', or more harshly, plain wrong, in the
> case of kernel source (something I know about), and in requiring root to
> build packages.

Requiring root to build packages is (or at least, can be) a
potential problem, but then, you *do* have a development box (or
at least a chroot environment on your main box) to build
packages, right?  ;-)

In reference to the kernel source location, I don't think I
follow - what's the problem with that?

RW

--

http://slackbuilds.org