[Slackbuilds-users] Slackware and Plug'n'Play for removable devices

Halim I. yallaone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 12:45:50 UTC 2007

On Sunday 18 February 2007 10:47, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> My personal opinion, though most people will probably disagree, is that
> PAM support is long overdue.

I couldn't agree more. While PAM was ridden with some challenges in its
earlier days, we have now come to a point where it's causing more damage from
being absent than from being included. HAL is one area, login grup
memberships another, and the rise of biometric login alternatives a third.
There has recently been some rather active discussions with Pat regarding the
possible inclusion of PAM in the next Slackware, and given that enough sober
arguments are presented to him in a non-intrusive fashion, I believe a savvy
group such as this should carry enough weight to be able to persuade him to
walk down the PAM path.

> I have talked to some other people who
> administrate Slackware systems, and the absense of PAM is a PITA for them,
> some have moved on to other systems for that, and some other reasons. And
> there is choice.

Yup - both from a Desktop and Server point of view we have now passed a point
were Slackware will loose more users and revenue from not having PAM, than it
would from diehards disliking a PAM introduction.

My bet would be the single largest obsticle to PAM in Slackware would be the
added management overhead from PVs point of view, given all the various PAM
variations and plugins out there...