[Slackbuilds-users] Checking Dependencies

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 23 20:27:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Lehman Black wrote:

> Usually SlackBuilds on slackbuilds.org do not check dependancies. A list
> of dependancies should be placed in the
> README<http://slackbuilds.org/guidelines/>file to let the person
> downloading the script what other SlackBuilds/Packages they would need to
> install before running the script.

Lehman,

   Stepping back to look at this from the user's perspective, I can see your
point. Preparing the package is one thing, installing and using the
application is another.

   But, would the user necessarily know the requirements before installing
the package? Only if the source mentioned them. I guess there's no
dependency checking that can be added to the package that would activate
during an install or upgrade.

Rich