[Slackbuilds-users] Error checking in SlackBuilds

Grant g_r_a_n_t_ at dodo.com.au
Mon Jan 29 21:59:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:23:57 +0100, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>Just checked out slackbuilds.org: thanks for that great idea! Just checking
>your guidelines, so I can possibly contribute the odd scripts.
>
>One detail. Quote from the submission guidelines:
>
>--8<---------------------------------
>Build in error checking where possible; for instance, the following would
>cause the SlackBuild script to exit if the the decompress/extract operation
>fails:
>
>    tar -xzvf $PRGNAM.$VERSION.tar.gz || exit 1
>
>Wouldn't 'set -e' at the beginning of the script do the exact same thing?

Might do, but explicit script actions seem to be more popular than
global (obscure) settings?  Easier debug, if actions are local,
perhaps.  My own scripting I prefer explicit error action to some
global setting -- perhaps the global settings for things you might
turn off, for example set -x for (sledgehammer) debugging.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/