[Slackbuilds-users] BuildSBO script

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Tue Jul 10 03:09:06 UTC 2007

On 7/9/07, Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> I'm probably really biased as I've used bash+dialog for anything interactive
> for years now (picking that up off Pat mostly) but I'd like to see any sort
> of script like that have some user interaction. The reason I say this is
> because whether you use dialog or something as simple as 'read' you make it
> possible to display the README (contained in the app.tar.gz) and then pause
> for the user to consider to continue or break out. In our perfect world, the
> README should list required and/or optional deps.

That is an excellent idea, Erik.  I have thought about making it more
interactive, but wanted to start with the basics, I guess, just to see
where it leads.

> Ultimately it's up to the user/admin to know what's going on, and presenting
> that info to them makes it easier in a semi-automated way. I won't even start
> on automatic dep resolving/checking because we've all been down that path too
> many times and we all know the end result.

Heh, yeah, I am not going down that road at all.

> On that note, I'm unclear as to whether your script tries to hide the rsync
> business or not. If not, you might want to consider something like -havzP
> --stats --delete-after, rsync(1) should detail this for you. Otherwise get
> rid of -v.

I was not trying to hide the rsync, and I like the -havzP switches.
My only concern with the --delete-after is that I don't want it to
delete any source code that has been previously downloaded when
building a package, in case someone wants to build a package again.
The script currently checks first to see if the source is already in
the local mirror and if not, then it downloads the source.  I would
not want to have to require the sources be downloaded again after the
local mirror has been cleaned after an rsync.

Thanks for the great input, Erik!

Chess

--
Chess Griffin