[Slackbuilds-users] Preparation for Next Slackware Release

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Jun 12 18:23:12 UTC 2007

Greetings, everyone!

First of all, we have had some problems recently with our reverse DNS
on our MX; our upstream provider is having issues with their upstream
provider, but I think we've finally fussed enough that they're going
to get it fixed.  If you've not been receiving mails from the list
(hopefully you're getting this one, as rDNS is good right now), then
please accept our sincere apologies - we hope that it won't be a
problem again.

Second, it's (past?) time to start gearing up for the next release
of Slackware, and that means two things:

  1. At this point, we would prefer to focus our time and energy on
     the necessary site administration, testing, and other such things
     needed for us to be ready "when it's ready."   :-)
     That being the case, submissions for new apps on 11.0 are
     discouraged, and version updates are discouraged unless the new
     version is security related and requires anything more than a
     VERSION string change in the build script.

  2. If you have any scripts in the repository, we would like for you
     to take an active role in getting them ready for use on the next
     Slackware release.  If you do not have a box that you can spare
     to install -current, then that's understandable, but if you do,
     that would be great.  We would like to have as much as possible
     ready to go when the next release hits.
     See below for more detailed information on the process for
     updating scripts for -current.

First, have a look at http://slackbuilds.org/done-current - this is a
flat text file with a listing of everything in each category that has
already been modified, tested, and confirmed to work on -current.
We will try to keep this file updated as additions are made, so check
it regularly to minimize duplication of effort.

Second, here are some of the needed changes that come to mind; this is
almost certainly not an exhaustive list, but it should cover most of
them.
  1. KDE paths -- /opt/kde should now be /usr
     You might consider using something like this:
       KDEPREFIX=$(kde-config --prefix)
       ./configure --prefix=$KDEPREFIX
     However, hardcoding /usr is acceptable too.  Be sure to change
     manpage directories and such too.
  2. Xorg paths -- /usr/X11R6 should now be /usr
     This applies to window managers and such as well.
  3. If a window manager uses the XDG stuff, then the sysconfdir should
     be /etc/$WINDOW_MANAGER/xdg  (for example, /etc/xfce/xdg) now.
     I don't think this will be an issue on anything, but just in case...
  4. It is no longer necessary to edit the $APP.desktop files to add
     the full path to the icon; since kde is in /usr now, the icons
     should display just fine.
  5. Any patches and/or sed-fu needed to link X libraries and/or include
     files can go away - that should not be necessary any more since
     Xorg is in /usr

Third, and this is important, do not submit these 'modified for -current'
scripts in the usual manner (don't use the web interface).   Instead,
send the script tarball (without the source code) to the our *devel*
mailing list (DO NOT send to this list).  The address is:
   slackbuilds-devel AT slackbuilds.org
The subject line should be formatted as follows:
  Slackware -current: $APP

Note that the devel list is a closed list, so you might get a message
that your mail is being held for moderation - ignore that, as your
message will be allowed to pass as soon as one of the admins clears
it.

Thanks,
SlackBuilds.org Admin Team