[Slackbuilds-users] Google Earth: two minor problems

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sat Oct 6 08:28:03 UTC 2007

alkos333 a écrit :
> Niki,
>
> You can find the Bitstream Vera Fonts here:
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

Thanks for the hint. But now, Google Earth doesn't see the fonts.

I downloaded the fonts tarball, extracted it and installed the fonts as
I always do.

1) copy all the .ttf files over to /usr/share/fonts/TTF
2) run # fc-cache -f -v

That's it.

I checked the fonts in Openoffice, and they installed OK. Except when I
start Google Earth, the program still informs me that Bitstream Vera
Fonts are not installed on my system.

On one of my laptops, I have CentOS 5.0 installed, and here, Google
Earth doesn't complain about missing fonts. I took a look in
/usr/share/fonts, and there's a special subdirectory
/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera, containing the same files as the
tarball from gnome.org. So I figured: maybe Google Earth is just dumbly
searching for this directory.

I created /usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera on my Slack install, copied
all the Vera*.ttf files into it and ran fc-cache -f -v... which leads me
to another problem. fc-cache ignores the bitstream-sans directory.

Q: how can I get fc-cache to read the bitstream-vera directory (other
than by jumping through burning loops)?

Niki