[Slackbuilds-users] Policy to modify someone else's script

Deak, Ferenc ferenc.deak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:25:59 UTC 2007

Hello,

There was a mail about the ocaml build script yesterday. While I was
checking the
script I made, I realised that the script was modified by  "core
<eroc at linuxmail.org>".
He bumped up the version which is OK, but made unecessary changes also.

I think it would be better to set up a rule, which says that:
before modifying someone else's script please contact with original
author to discuss the changes.

Another case when there is a need for communication: Suppose that I
have packages on sbo
where the version number is lower than the latest release of the given
software. If somebody increases the version just because he/she saw a
higher version on the net is not the best process, because I have
reasons not to increase the version, so the communication would help.

And even I'm going further: Because the sbo maintainers has limited
time to understand each package, perhaps it is better to involve the
original author to the acceptance process, when somebody else made any
changes.

thanks for your time,
feco