[Slackbuilds-users] Policy to modify someone else's script

Deak, Ferenc ferenc.deak at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 06:02:13 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> > script I made, I realised that the script was modified by  "core
> > <eroc at linuxmail.org>".
> I'm curious about these unnecessary changes...  I can't speak for the
> other admins, but often times I will make changes to a script in some
> cases:
>   1. I see a cleaner/better way to do something
>   2. style changes - keep the script more consistent with the others
>      in our repo
>
> While I'm not aware of these sorts of changes ever breaking something
> other than typographical (fat finger) errors - note that this is not
> to imply that it hasn't happened - I certainly hope that this is not
> the source of the complaint.

No, the source of the complaint is not you!
And even I have to to say it clearly before somebody thinks that eroc@
made something fatal. No his change is not brake anything, only
started me thinking about this topic.
So the source of the complaint is only theoretical now, but worth
thinking about, I hope.

By the way, is it a bad idea to setting up a version control server for the
scripts? In this case anybody can use older versions if a newest one
is buggy.

feco