[Slackbuilds-users] wxGTK needs a patch to function with newer GTK+

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 08:41:49 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:47:31 -0400
>  "Keith Richie" <disturbed1976 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > I had some issues with apps that use wxGTK (
>  > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/problem-with-gtk-apps-634943/
>  > )
>  >
>  > Applying the below patch has fixed the issue-----so far. I ended up
>  > gathering the patch from here -
>  > http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/x11/wxgtk-2.6/wxgtk-borderfree.patch?cvsroot=Extra&only_with_tag=CURRENT
>
>  This looks a lot like the errors I was getting trying to update my
>  Audacity SlackBuild to version 1.3.4 for -current.  wxGTK 2.6.4 built
>  and installed fine, as did Audacity 1.3.4, but Audacity would segfault
>  immediately.  I ended up using wxPython instead and now Audacity 1.3.4
>  works fine on -current.
>
>  The problem is that wxPython is a much larger build.  It would be nice
>  to get wxGTK to work for Audacity and others.  I'll try to test this
>  patch and see if it will work for Audacity.
>
>  --
>  Chess Griffin
>  GPG Public Key:  0x0C7558C3
>  http://www.chessgriffin.com

>  Please read the FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

wxPython will not work for vlc and DVDStyler.

I used removepkg for wxGTK, wxSVG, and DVDStyler.

compile -- makepkg routine for wxPython, wxSVG, then DVDStyler. All
programs linked fine with the newer wx2.8, but there are slight gui
errors in DVDStyler and pressing some buttons cause the program to
segfault. The gui drawing errors I could have lived with. They were
just a line or there, nothing major.

The gui for VLC is unusable when linked against wx2.8. Couldn't draw
the volume, plus a few other errors. I didn't test it to open anything
though, considering the GUI errors. So wxPython won't work here.

Yes wxPython is a monster.