[Slackbuilds-users] ffmpeg little mistake

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 23:55:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:34 PM, "Niklas \"Nille\" Åkerström"
<nille.kungen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Moacir Souza skrev:
>
>      Hi folks,
>
>      I was installing ffmpeg today and I found a little thing that isn't
> mentioned in the RADME file. I used the tarball version downloaded from the
> SVN Server and when I tried to run the Slackbuild script, I got the
> folliwing messages:
>
> Unknown option "--enable-pp".
> Unknown option "--enable-libogg".
> Unknown option "--enable-swscaler".
> See ./configure --help for available options.
>
>      Using the version placed in your server I had no problem at all, but
> with the new one, a lot of options (not only those i mentioned above) are
> not present in the ./configure script.
>      I think this should be said somewhere, for the sake of the downloader
> sanity =).
>
> Best regards,
> Moka
>
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Moacir da Cruz Souza Filho
>
> -Analista de Sistemas: Suporte Unix Avançado
> Serviço Federal de Processamento de Dados
>
> -Mestrando em Ciências da Computação
> Universidade de Brasília
>
> -Bacharel em Engenharia da Computação
> Escola Politécnica de Pernambuco
> Universidade de Pernambuco
>
> -Técnico em Eletrônica
> Escola Técnica Federal de Pernambuco
>
> -Linux user #449600
>

> I personally thinks that ffmpeg and x264 needs to be updated to newer
> versions.
> I there any reson why it shouldn't?
> Would it break anything?

Using the newer ffmpeg breaks quite a few programs that build off of
ffmpeg. The location and names of the header files have changed, the
name of the options, in some revisions ffmpeg -formats does not return
proper info, so programs that are gui encoders for ffmpeg fail to
notice ffmpeg is even installed.  DVDStyler, wxSVG, just to name 2
will not build against newer ffmpeg's without modifying their source
code, or appending some ./configure options. I know there are others,
but can not remember them off the top of my head.

None of this is an issue with ffmpeg directly, but the 3rd party
developers' source code, and their lack of comments as to which
version they require :-/. Considering ffmpeg is an extremely fast
moving project, it's hard for anyone to keep up with.

Rather than having to have the latest and greatest for no other reason
than it's newer I tend to stick with the version that has the best
compatibility with other programs.

x264 has the same issues. There are known compile, and run time errors
with different revisions in 2008. Some of the options just flat out
don't work, depending on your CPU type, and 32bit vs 64bit. x264 is in
a constant state of flux at the current moment. I've found 20080301 to
work rather well, and have had numerous issues with anything previous,
and gave up trying from 20080315 - 200807xx. After 4 months and no
stable code base I've just stuck with the 20080301 release.