[Slackbuilds-users] VirtualBox Build Scripts

Darrell Anderson humanreadable at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 02:02:01 UTC 2008

I have been struggling to compile VB 2.0.6 in 12.2 with the 2.6.27.7 kernel configured with the >4GB RAM option.

Both 1.6.6 and 2.0.6 compile in 12.1 with the 2.6.24.5 kernel and >4GB RAM option.

If I disable >4GB option and recompile the kernel, then 1.6.6 and 2.0.6 compile in 12.2 with the 2.6.27.7 kernel. Seems I need to recompile the kernel and reboot, and not just edit the kernel .config file.

I have been using build scripts from slacky.eu that I have modified several times. At the time I starting using the scripts (version 1.5.6) no build scripts yet existed at SBo. I mention this only because with the scripts have always succeeded for me until this recent struggle. I therefore decided to try the SBo scripts.

Some observations and questions:

1. In the README files, there is reference to the KERNEL variable. Should this reference be to KERNELVERSION, as is the actual variable used in the scripts?

2. The README implies being able to build for newer kernels. As I can build in 2.6.24.5 without errors, according to the README I should be able to build in 12.1 for 12.2 and the 2.6.27.7 kernel. Yet doesn't VB embed the kernel VERMAGIC variable in the kernel module and wouldn't that prevent this trick from succeeding?

3. The vbox udev rule set is being copied to /etc/udev/rules.d. Starting with 12.2, should this be /lib/udev/rules.d?

4. I notice there is no rc.d script for automating the VB bridge. I have been using such a script from the slacky.eu build scripts.  This rc.d script works great. Any chance of adding the script to the SBo scripts or does VB 2.x do things differently?

I'm now a member of the SBo list and will receive any replies.

Thanks.

Darrell Anderson
http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/