[Slackbuilds-users] new location for udev files in 12.2

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Tue Dec 23 22:38:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:23:37 -0500
Alan Hicks <alan at lizella.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:56:15 -0600
> alkos333 <me at alkos333.net> wrote:
>
> > I thought those were supposed to be just system rules and the rest
> > of them still had to reside in /etc/udev/rules.d
>
> This is my understanding as well.  /lib/udev is for system and
> distribution rules that shouldn't need to be changed, and /etc/udev is
> for anything the admin tacks on with additional packages and such

Not necessarily.

That's at least partially right though.  The only rules that should
ever be installed to /etc/udev/rules.d are ones that the admin might
need to change.  As an example, the generated rules for persistent
network and optical devices may very well need to change, perhaps
several times, over the life of a system, and they are completely
independent of any packages that might come and go.  On the other
hand, the rules installed by the virtualbox package should be correct
for *that* package and not need to be changed by the sysadmin.

-RW