[Slackbuilds-users] ffmpeg

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Dec 26 06:47:32 UTC 2008

Please don't hijack unrelated threads :)

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 22:40:59 -0800 (PST)
Darrell Anderson <humanreadable at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I built ffmpeg. Initially the build script failed because I have /tmp
> mounted noexec. I'm not changing that. :-)

Understandable.

> The error message informed me that configure was looking for TMPDIR.
> I then ran the build script as follows:
>
> TMPDIR=/temporary/tmp/location ./ffmpeg.Slackbuild.
>
> That worked. I next modified the build script with:
>
> export TMPDIR=/temporary/tmp/location
>
> That worked too.
>
> Unlike all of the files I have built from SBo, the ffmpeg configure
> file is hard-coded to look for a TMPDIR environment variable, and if
> none is found defaults TMPDIR to /tmp.

Wow.  I'd expect that they would use TMP, and furthermore, I think that
should probably be mentioned to them.

> Perhaps a caution on the ffmpeg page might help? I realize most
> people mount /tmp executable, but a short caution would help those
> who don't.

Probably better to add something like this to the build script before
starting the compile process:
  TMPDIR=${TMPDIR:-$TMP}
  export TMPDIR
and then "unset TMPDIR" after the compile process is finished.

-RW