[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuild for nagios 3.x

Greg Martin gmartin at gmartin.org
Wed Jul 9 17:31:41 UTC 2008

Andrew Brouwers wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I've never used nagios, but as a general rule, /usr/local is reserved
> for per-system stuff.  As you'll probably notice, nothing really gets
> put there by default.  Do you have a good reason for those components
> to move from /usr/share?  It is usually a better place for such
> components.  To see which packages on your installed system have used
> /usr/local up until now, try:
>
> grep usr/local /var/log/packages/* | grep -v aaa_base
>
> That should give you a good idea as to how many slack packages
> consider /usr/local to be the correct spot :>
>
> Also, I think /var/lib is the better place for application-specific
> processes.  Check out /var and /var/lib on a slackware box, and you
> can see the differences.
>
> Just my opinions; good luck!
>
> Andrew

OK, good tips from you & Cherife.  My ignorance is coming hrough nicely!

So, here's a revision

main nagios exe - /usr/bin
cgi exes - /usr/share/nagios/cgi
web interface root - /usr/share/nagios
run file - /var/run/nagios.lock
config dir - /etc/nagios
plugins - /usr/share/nagios/plugins

Another question I have.  The --prefix in Stefano's script points to
/usr/lib/nagios.  What would be appropriate for that?  /usr/share/nagios?

\\Greg