[Slackbuilds-users] sbopkg 0.0.8rc1 testers needed

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Thu Jul 17 19:02:51 UTC 2008

Antoine NONYME wrote:
> Excuse me, slackmerge doesn't do which sbopkg does .
> Here is slackmerge, if you want to integrate it in sbopkg .

Thanks for sending this, Antoine.  Yes, sbopkg builds packages but does
not install them.  And, as it stands today, I don't plan to add the
installation feature, although it would be quite easy to do so -- just
call installpkg as your script does.  The problem is, the next logical
step would be to add a feature to call upgradepkg if there's a newer
version, or call removepkg to remove a SBo package.  Installing or
upgrading or removing a package would make sbopkg more like a package
manager, which it's not.

 From a philosophical standpoint, I view sbopkg as an interface to
SlackBuilds.org -- I call it a package browser -- not a replacement for
any of the default *pkg tools.  It's a subtle distinction, and perhaps a
distinction without a difference.  And maybe my view is wrong, so it's
good for me to revisit this issue from time to time.  Believe me, you
are not the first to ask -- I've had many emails asking for the same
thing.  :-)

So, who knows, maybe one day I'll change my mind and add in these
features, but for now, I don't have any plans to do that.  I really
appreciate the feedback, though.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3