[Slackbuilds-users] New package manager for Slackware

Adis Nezirovic adis at linux.org.ba
Sat Jul 26 21:01:05 UTC 2008

For quite some time I'm working on this pet project of mine, a
package manager for Slackware, written in Python:
  http://localhost.ba/Slackware/Slapkg

Nothing too fancy, just a *reimplementation* of pkgtool functionality
in high level language, with less lines of code and better performance.

Additionally, I also implemented slackpkg like functionality (remote
package upgrades). I really like slackpkg, but it is unbelievably slow
when creating "package upgrade lists" (we're at least 10x faster)

My goal with this project is either of the following:
a) To rule the (Slackware) world (just kidding, of course)
b) To see some speed improvements in pkgtool and slackpkg
   i.e. beat them with (code) stick to do it faster.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some additional exposure.
I'm already using slapkg on my machines daily, many of them even
survived upgrade from Slackware 12.1 to Slackware-current, and I
don't expect any catastrophic bugs.

P.S.
Sorry for spamming slackbuilds.org mailing list, but I could not think
of any more appropriate place ;-)