[Slackbuilds-users] file ChangeLog requested by wine.SlackBuild not present in wine-1.0-rc4 source

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sun Jun 8 05:49:03 UTC 2008

Antonio Hernández Blas wrote:
> What? a stupid idea?, mmmh.. then why are there some SlackBuilds with
> something like this thing? ;)
>
> if [ -d $PKG/usr/man ]; then
>   find $PKG/usr/man -type f -name "*.?" -exec gzip -9f {} \;
> fi
>
> And not, they are not just two or three, they are 58 SlackBuilds with
> a thing like that(even worst, see krusader.SlackBuild, btw the autor
> is Robby Workman).

Hey now, that's one of my early scripts - it could use some cleanup to
bring it up to more modern standards... :)
Yes, it's now on my TODO list...

> This looks to me "the same" as
>
> if [ -e $TMP/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/ChangeLog ]; then
>   cp $TMP/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/ChangeLog $PKG/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION/Changelog
> fi
>
> IMHO this is a crap, why? because in the end, when i see the package
> with 'installpkg -warn' and notice that there aren't manpages in it
> BUT its SlackBuild has an 'if [ -d $PKG/usr/man ]; ..'  then i start
> to asking myself if really aren't there manpages in the sourcecode or
> if something was wrong at build time.

We (the admin team) had a nice discussion of this whole general
idea on IRC, and the decision was that we'll all have to agree to
disagree on several things :)

With the above in mind, I'm not speaking for the team as a whole -
just for me - but I understand both sides of the issue.

 From a user standpoint, it's got to be frustrating to have a package
fail to build simply because of a missing documentation file that was
removed or renamed by upstream in a version bump.

 From a developer standpoint, I *want* the build to fail if my script
is not doing *everything* exactly as I planned, so yeah, if a piece of
documentation that I refer to is not present in the source code, then
I want to know about it.  hba's comment about the testing for /usr/man
directory is appropriate here - I don't like that, as I think the
script should "know" whether the directory will exist or not.  If it
exists, do something with it, or if not, don't; but don't put in a
test for something that won't be changing as long as the VERSION does
not change.

Anyway, long story short, I'm not going to change the wine build
script unless it's part of an update to the latest upstream release.
I won't prevent another team member from doing so either, of course,
but it is my opinion that users building an upstream version of
something besides what we've tested and signed off should be prepared
for (and ideally check for beforehand) this sort of thing.

-RW