[Slackbuilds-users] Upgrading PostgreSQL Using SlackBuild Script

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 18 00:08:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Robby Workman wrote:

> That sounds reasonable to me, but then, I'm not a db admin, so ymmv.

   Ah, well. Something went belly up. After copying all /var/lib/pgsql/ to
/usr4/pgsql_old/, I ran '/etc/rc.d/rc.posgresql stop' and was told that it
did stop.

   Then I ran 'upgradepkg postgresql-8.3.3*tgz', and that seemed to do its
thing (but it could not find the pid file which should not be present in a
stopped process).

   Then I tried '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start', but it didn't despite
reporting that it did. Sigh.

   I'm subscribing to the postgresql-general mail list for help.

Thanks for the kind words, Robby,

Rich