[Slackbuilds-users] for testing - 'sbopkg' tool

Bob Lounsbury boblounsbury at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 11:20:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> For reasons due to personal itch scratching, I've been working on a
>  little tool called 'sbopkg' to interact with a local copy of the SBo
>  mirror.  It can be used via cli only or with a dialog interface similar
>  to that seen in other Slackware tools.  Sbopkg will allow the user to
>  rsync and browse a local copy of the SBo repository, read the SBo
>  ChangeLog, and view the README, SlackBuild, .info, and slack-desc files
>  for each package. Sbopkg will also allow the user to select packages to
>  build and it will download the source code, check the md5sum, and build
>  a Slackware package.
>
>  I have been testing it myself for awhile now and it's been working ok,
>  though YMMV.  Anyway, I just uploaded the code and created a version
>  0.0.1 tarball and noarch package for folks to check out.  There are two
>  man pages that are installed which should explain most of the features.
>   There's still lots to do on this tool, as well as some needed
>  improvements -- especially on the package building part -- and fixes
>  that I plan to work on, so my TODO list is growing.
>  Ideas/suggestions/patches are welcomed.  :-)  I'm also in #slackbuilds
>  and ##slackware (nick _chess_ or cng) if you want to chat about it.
>
>  You can read more about sbopkg, check out the fancy screenshots, and
>  download the tarball or noarch package here:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/sbopkg/
>
>  Finally, although I spent many hours pouring over scripts written by
>  Patrick, Eric Hameleers, PiterPunk, and many others, in an attempt to
>  discern the Way of Scripting, I doubt I was entirely successful.
>  Therefore, all errors and omissions, while unintentional, are purely my
>  own.  ;-)
>
>  --
>  Chess Griffin
>  GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3
>  http://www.chessgriffin.com

>  Please read the FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

Very interesting. I like the idea and have a question. Is there any
way to make local changes to the SlackBuild script and then build the
package with your sbopkg tool? I'm assuming that rsync creates local
copies of SlackBuilds.org. I'm only asking because I also use
Slacintosh and I have modified several SlackBuild scripts to compile
successfully on powerpc. I guess this question could also relate to
changing the SlackBuild script locally for any other reason also, not
just for powerpc stuff.

Cheers,
/Bob