[Slackbuilds-users] JOBS variable support, and Slamd64 patches handling

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Mar 29 16:20:44 EDT 2008

Aleksandar Samardzic wrote:

> 1. As for JOBS variable support, the idea is to have variable defined
> at the start of SlackBuild as follows:
>   JOBS=${JOBS:1}
> and then to change "make" invocation to:
>   make -j ${JOBS}
> with the intention to allow to users having multi-core machines to
> speed-up compilation times significally. This is actually something
> that I intended to suggest to adding to SlackBuild script template
> long time ago, so - any opinions?

This has been added to the template.SlackBuild as of today:
   JOBS=${JOBS:-3}
If there's some sort of namespace conflict with that, someone better
clue me in really fast before it gets wider usage here.  :)

> 2. I was thinking that no direct support for Slamd64 is offered here
> at SBo, however while searching to find is there any other SlackBuild
> employing above described JOBS mechanism, I found that for example
> wine SlackBuild supports both this mechanism and Slamd64...  So I
> guess it may be OK to apply Carlos patches to my SlackBuilds; on the
> other side, I don't have any Slamd64 installation accessible, and
> don't have plans for making one on my own machine, thus I would prefer
> not to take maintainership  for something alike.  Again - any
> suggestion here: to not include patches, to include them and state
> directly that other person is responsible regarding all Slamd64
> related issues, to have them hosted separately (maybe also here at
> SBo) and only point to them from README files,... ?

This is still under consideration among the admins; I think we've more
or less reached a decision, but it's not official yet.  We'll post an
announcement here when we finalize it.

-RW