[Slackbuilds-users] Talking vs Doing [was: specifying slackware version in the SlackBuilds]

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon May 12 04:22:31 UTC 2008

Robby Workman wrote:

> ... so if someone else not affiliated with the project thinks
> it's worth the amount of effort required to do it and then send us
> a patch, maybe we'll accept it (but no promises, of course).

As an aside, maybe I'm just in a bad mood and tomorrow I'll wish I
hadn't written this, but I'll take my chances.  :-)

Those of you who have used Slackware for at least two or three
releases prior to 12.1 might have picked up on this by now, but
if you think back to 10.2 going forward, there have been a lot of
things that *could* be beneficial to Slackware but weren't present
in the official package sets.  Lots of users liked to complain that
"we need $app" or "we need $library" in Slackware, and then they got
frustrated when it didn't show up.  In many of those cases, there
were few (if any) technical reasons for their lack of inclusion in
Slackware; instead, it was often a lack of time on Pat's part to
work out the details required for integrating it properly.  Almost
without exception, when someone else took the time to work out those
details and then sent the result to Pat, they were promptly added
to Slackware.  I won't name examples, and I'm sure there are some
notable exceptions to that, but I think the point should be clear
by now... :-)

-RW