[Slackbuilds-users] "orphaned" scripts

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 06:21:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org>
wrote:

> Phillip Warner wrote:
>
>> I personally have no problem with that, but some people may and this might
>> discourage some good submissions.  Perhaps a good compromise would be to
>> make sure it doesn't sound too harsh or if it is only for one Slackware
>> release.  If the next release comes out and the maintainer doesn't update a
>> script that doesn't work on the newest release, then it can simply be
>> removed.  It would be nice if maintainers would let us know when they no
>> longer can/want to maintain a slackBuild, so maybe this could be asked of
>> the person submitting a script.
>>
>> Something that also might be really useful is to start an official list of
>> orphaned and recently removed scripts.  That way a person could look at that
>> one file and then email the user list to say "Hey, I'll take it.  Here's my
>> submission."  I know this could be accomplished through threads like this,
>> but it might be more convenient to have it all in once place instead of
>> spread through many messages.  Ideally, this would be included on the site
>> similar to the Changelog, but I understand if the admins don't want another
>> file to maintain.
>>

> We were just talking about doing something like that - we think it
> will help *us* too :)
>
> -RW

This is why I never submitted any of my SlackBuilds for mjpegtools, or
DVDStyler + it's other depends. I wouldn't want to submit something, and not
be able to maintain it. Not exactly wise for myself to do, considering I've
only just switched back to Slackware a few months back. As it stands now, I
have no plans of using another distro. But that's what I said with 10.0(.1?)
and Vector, and Debian, and Ubuntu, and ..... ;)

Seems like the SlackBuilds team has enough work as it is.

Take a look at Arch Linux's AUR to see what orphaned build scripts can
cause. A bunch of unmaintained build scripts of older software missing
updates/fixes and not compatible with the current release. They also run
into problems with 3-4 different build scripts of the same software.