[Slackbuilds-users] ffmpeg update - request for testers

Antonio Hernández Blas hba.nihilismus at gmail.com
Mon May 26 04:02:50 UTC 2008

Hi Heinz Wiesinger:

"From my point of view, those two should not be updated that often."
Hahahaha :) trust me, they are not updated "that" often, this would be
their first update since 8 months ago.

" I first thought about an update right after the release of a new
Slackware-version,"
Before the release of Slackware 12.1 that was i wanted to do, also i
asked to rworkman if that would be possible (if i can remember, all he
said me is(more or less) "wait for the maintainer consideration") but
anyway, I still have the idea that apps from svn/cvs should be updated
right after a Slackware release, so we can use them like in 1 year
without worry of them ;)

"As MPlayer is using ffmpeg internally we can probably state that the
version used by MPlayer is pretty stable."
It's that, or we can state that they are pretty different too. Are the
changes made by MPlayer to ffmpeg(the internal) also done in
ffmpeg(the official)?

"MPlayer is also adjusting the interface to x264 in svn, which means
that the perfect combination of those two would be snapshots of about
the same time. Updating x264 and leaving MPlayer behind would probably
end up with roblems on runtime."
If you take a look into their configure script
(http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/configure?view=co), you can see
something like this http://pastebin.ca/1029547. They search for the
value of X264_BUILD in /usr/include/x264.h(greater than 53), which in
my x264 update is '#define X264_BUILD 59", so i don't see any problem
here.

And finally, look the version of ffmpeg in gentoo and arch:
http://www.gentoo-portage.com/AJAX/Ebuild/63099 (svn revision 11878 -
fmpeg-0.4.9_p20080326.ebuild)
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ffmpeg-svn/ffmpeg-svn/PKGBUILD (svn
revision 13107)
Both are updated, in *this* year :)

Ok, anyway, i'm not saying your ideas are wrong, i understand them but
at this moment i think we can make the updates without any problem,
until the next slackware release.

BTW, i have execute this command to see wich could be the other apps
that should take care of this update(/var/cache/slackbuilds/ is were i
sync SBo repository):
find /var/cache/slackbuilds/ -name "README" -exec grep ffmpeg {} \;
-exec echo -e "{}\n" \;
As i can see, they are: kino, transcode, ffmpegthumbnailer and motion, (MOC too)

Can another SBo admin/user give an opinion about this topic?  that
would be nice, i don't want to get a date with Heinz Wiesinger at the
end of all this threat hahahaha :)