[Slackbuilds-users] Problem with Lilypond SlackBuild for 12.1

Patrick J. Volkerding volkerdi at slackware.com
Mon Sep 1 01:29:48 UTC 2008

Robert W. Wendel wrote:
> Steve wrote:

>>> There was a discussion on freenode where someone had a similar issue.
>>> It's
>>> most likely the same cause, which is /usr/share/texmf/bin/ being not in
>>> $PATH. As this is the default on Slackware after a full install, there's
>>> obviously something wrong with the setup.
>>>
>>> The missing files are indeed included in slackwares base tetex package.
>>>
>>> Just for future reference.
>>>
>>> Grs,
>>> Heinz
>>>

>> I just ran into this as well.  Building as root (as opposed to using
>> su) allowed lilypond to build and find these dependencies.  I imagine
>> using su - would also work, but I just logged in as root to build the
>> package.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Lilypond didn't compile, a while back, for me until I built it as root,
> rather than under "SU"

This is indeed one solution.  Another is to use "su -" rather than "su"
as previously noted.  /usr/share/texmf/bin is in Slackware's default
$PATH (depending on how one defines that), but using "su" doesn't
execute /etc/profile, and so the /etc/profile.d/tetex.* script that adds
/usr/share/texmf/bin to the $PATH is not run, and that directory is then
not part of the $PATH.  One could argue that the default $PATH is the
$PATH that is built into the shell, which is why I offer the disclaimer
to avoid getting caught up in semantics.

Another solution is to source /etc/profile like this after running su:

. /etc/profile

I'm not sure if there's a functional difference to using this approach
over "su -".  I tend to take the path of least resistance and build on a
dedicated build box after logging in as root from a virtual console.

Take care,

Pat