[Slackbuilds-users] bug in irqbalance

Grissiom chaos.proton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 09:37:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 12:21, Patrick J. Volkerding
<volkerdi at slackware.com>wrote:

> Grissiom wrote:
>
>> Hmm, so many replies when I am sleeping ;) Thanks for caring this issue.
>>

> No problem.  :-)
>
>  Yes, just as Scott
>> said, there is no "make install" in the tiny official(upstream) Makefile.
>> So
>> Slackbuild install it manually. The Makefile only builds the binary.
>>

> In those cases, looking for an ad-hoc standard is preferable to deciding
>  where to place it based on the FHS.  So, if everyone else is putting it in
> /usr/bin/, we would probably be wise to do so as well.  It might be a good
> idea to look at some other distributions packages to see if there's an
> agreement on this point.
>
> All the best,
>
> Pat
>
> Thanks for your kind reply. From a quick Google search I found two useful
link:

OpenSuSE 11.0 rpm for i586:(see the Files section)
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/opensuse/11.0/i586/irqbalance-0.55-88.1.i586.html

And some other rpms for many other distro:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=irqbalance

which seems all of those place the binary file in /usr/sbin. In my view,
what the irqbanlance eventually do is to modify /proc/irq/*/smp_affinity
file if you run a SMP system. And all the smp_affinity file is own by root
and have 600 mode. So only if run as root, this programe could take into
effect.

--
Best Regard,
Grissiom