[Slackbuilds-users] VirtualBox

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Sep 26 12:18:48 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, 26. September 2008 13:53:49 schrieb Audrius Kažukauskas:
> On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:32:29 +0200, Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> > > I think menu entry is missing probably due to non-existent VirtualBox
> > > executable in $PATH.
> >
> > nope. kde looks for .desktop files in certain directories, in this
> > case /usr/share/applications/
>
> I understand that, but VirtualBox.desktop points to VirtualBox and since
> it is missing, maybe KDE4 just ignores the menu entry (not that I know
> this for sure...).

This might be....

> > > No /usr/bin/VirtualBox.  /usr/bin/VBox exists, but trying to run it
> > > gives me "Unknown application - VBox" output.
> >
> > This and the menu problems leaves the assumption that doinst.sh didn't
> > get executed on installation. Further symptoms could be non-existent
> > VBoxManage, VBoxSDL, VBoxHeadless and some more in /usr/bin.
>
>   $ VBox<tab><tab>
>   VBox          VBoxDeleteIF  VBoxManage    VBoxTap       VBoxVRDP
>   VBoxAddIF     VBoxHeadless  VBoxSDL       VBoxTunctl
>
> Running some of those (for example VBoxManage) outputs version and usage
> information, so here everything looks fine.

Alright.
I have the following lines in my doinst.sh:

( cd usr/bin ; rm -rf VirtualBox )
( cd usr/bin ; ln -sf /usr/bin/VBox VirtualBox )

The quick fix should be to just create the symlink to /usr/bin/VBox as in the
lines above.

I just found a bug in the SlackBuild regarding only building qt4 interface,
and the required symlink is just not created in that case too. So there are
even two bugs now :(

Thanks for the report, I'll resolve this as soon as possible.

Grs,
Heinz