[Slackbuilds-users] handy ruler

Mikko Varri vmj at linuxbox.fi
Wed Apr 1 18:30:44 UTC 2009

Hi admins,

I was under the impression that the handy ruler in slack-desc file was
related to how much space there is in the ncurses installer UI
(i.e. it would always be of the same length).  But looking at the
changes made to submitted slack-desc files, it seems that the longer
the PRGNAM, the shorter the handy ruler.

That basically means that "compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported" has
about three hundred characters less space for the description, when
compared to "di".

I took a quick look at the slackware source directory, and 513 out of
529 slack-desc files had the same length handy ruler.  I would
consider the remaining 16 as (cosmetic) bugs.  Same check agains SBo
repository shows that there only about 66 percent had the same length.

I appreciate that this is your repository, and you can do whatever you
wish with it, but what is the policy on this tiny detail?

BR,
Mikko Varri