[Slackbuilds-users] kdenlive Slackbuild

Eric Hameleers (SBo) alien at slackbuilds.org
Wed Aug 5 17:37:38 UTC 2009

stormtracknole schreef:
> List,
>
> I modified slacky it kdenlive Slackbuild to follow more closely the
> requirements for Slackbuilds.org.  So, before I submit my SlackBuild, is
> there anyone else planning on adding kdenlive once Slackware 13 comes
> out?  Just wanted to make sure before I submit it.  Also, can someone
> take a look at what I have come up with so far and give me some
> pointers?  The script will build kdenlive from svn instead of the
> standard package.  I also have a slackbuild for mlt which is a big
> requirement.  Thanks ahead of time! :^)
>
> -stn
>
> Here's the kdenlive.Slackbuild:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Slackware build script for <appname>
>
> # Written by (your name) (your contact information)
>
> # (add license information here if you desire; otherwise,
>
> # all submissions are considered to be in the public domain)
> # Some licenses may incorporate the "Written by" information
> # above, and if so, that line can be omitted
> # We strongly suggest *not* using GPL for scripts, as it requires
>
> # a copy of the GPL to be distributed with it.  Since the GPL
> # itself is longer than any build script will be, this just doesn't
> # make good sense...
>
> # |-----------------------------------------------------------------| #
>
> # REMOVE THIS ENTIRE BLOCK OF TEXT #
> #
> # $Id: template.SlackBuild,v 1.8 2009/05/27 01:34:37 slackbuilds Exp slackbuilds $
> #
> # This template is not meant to be a 'cut and paste' script to
> # enable any random user to make a working package.  While
>
> # we're certainly not discouraging use of this template, if
> # you haven't manually gone through each step of the process
> # without the build script (typically as a normal user, as this
> # will reveal problems that you won't see as root), then there's
>
> # a good chance that something important is missing from your
> # submission.
>
> # When using this template script, please remove as many of
> # these unnecessary comments as possible.  Commented code is
> # a good thing, but if it's obvious, there's no need to comment it.
>
> #
> # AGAIN, REMOVE THE COMMENTS IF THEY ARE NOT NEEDED - DON'T JUST
> # DELETE THIS BLOCK OF TEXT WITHOUT BOTHERING TO READ WHAT'S IN IT.
> #
> # |-----------------------------------------------------------------| #

... etc ...

When I look at this SlackBuild header, it tells me that you really
have not paid attention to what it is trying to tell you.
Perhaps you should read it and follow up on it.

Also, since you have copied the slacky.eu script almost verbatim (see
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/multimedia/kdenlive/20080610/src/kdenlive.SlackBuild)
it would be prudent to credit the original author in your version,
although though this is not required here (the original script does
not have a copyright header).

> ARCH=${ARCH:-i686}		# this should not change

Hmm. Out template (like all the rest of Slackware packages) has this line:

ARCH=${ARCH:-i486}		# this should not change

It would be good if you stuck to the template.

I'll be looking for your next post with the updated script.

Finally two more points:

(1) we do not approve scripts that check out SVN sources. You will
have to think of something here (look at other contributions on our
site that use SVN snapshots to get an idea).
(2) This software has a ton of dependencies. You will have to write a
README that lists what other scripts are required from SlackBuilds.org
 - any missing dependencies need to be submitted as scripts by
yourself as well.

Cheers, Eric