[Slackbuilds-users] madwifi (was: The plot thickens: ...)

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Fri Aug 28 19:23:37 UTC 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 03:35:29 Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér
   wrote:
> Second, my Thinkpad doesn't work very well with encrypted networks
> using the Ath5k driver, and so I have relied on Madwifi so far. I
> see from the previous Slackbuilds-users email that Madwifi won't
> build on 13.0. Any thoughts on why this is so?

Madwifi is a victim of the fact that 2.6.X kernels can and do vary
widely for different values of X. The madwifi 0.9.4 source builds
on/for older kernels, X < 24.

For newer kernels, you might find success with the "trunk" branch,
http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/madwifi-trunk/ . But for you,
best would probably be to get ath5k working. New functionality is
being added all the time. Try with the kernel in testing/ .

I keep one madwifi machine on hand to act as access point. Last I
heard, master mode functionality still isn't available in mainstream
ath5k. Client functionality *should* be working by now.