[Slackbuilds-users] virtualbox-ose (3.0.4) on x86_64

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Mon Aug 31 07:12:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009 08:33:10 Grissiom wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 05:19, Heinz Wiesinger<pprkut at liwjatan.at> wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 August 2009 19:07:27 Robby Workman wrote:
> >> The binary-only is fine - I've been using it on x86_64 since
> >> well before any of you knew we had an x86_64 version :-)
> >
> > I agree. For most people the binary installer might be the best idea for
> > now. But, just to clarify, the once built slackware package of
> > virtualbox-ose hasn't any 32bit deps either.
>
> Yes. Once you build a package, it hasn't any 32bit deps. But, does SBo
> provide any binary packages? NO.

That is why there's the note in the README and why it's marked as UNTESTED on
x86_64 in the .info file.

> What if a user runs Slackware64 but doesn't have 32bit slackware in hand?

Then he is unable to build virtualbox-ose.

> I know you can always run the installer and let it pour files into /opt but
> we are talking about SlackBuilds which users can make use of the package
> system of Slackware, right?

Sure, but virtualbox-puel has a lot more constraints to handle then
virtualbox-ose. In short, you will never get that kind of system integration -
ose has with -puel. So even if there was a SlackBuild for it, it would most
likely still put everything in /opt.

> Is there any way to build package from the VBox installer? If so, it
> may become independent from the 32bit build environment.

There sure is a way to make a SlackBuild for virtualbox-puel (the -kernel part
is the same for both I think). That being said, I'm not going to write one,
but will happily have a look on it when someone submits one.

Grs,
Heinz