[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20091206

Grissiom chaos.proton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 11:48:43 UTC 2009

2009/12/7 Niklas 'Nille' Åkerström <nille.kungen at gmail.com>

> My name often gets unreadable, and i asked before about rules for text
> encodings.
> But there hasn't been any interest in unifying  text encodings.
> This goes for webbpage and slackbuilds since i don't like it when i can't
> read my name in an .SlackBuild or .info when i click on them on SBo.

I think this is a problem. AFAIK, French people have a website that is
similar to SBo(maintain SlackBuilds that not in the stock tree). But they
use French there, so no one else could understand what they are doing. SBo
has big advantage over it: 1) competent admin team, in which someone is even
in official slackware team.(afaik) 2) Using English as its "Official
language". This point is not stated in any web page(or I missed them...).
But everyone here speak English and everyone could understand it.(Someone
may say "we also speak shell". ok.... ;-)

However, it will be a problem if we *only* support English when facing the
trend of internationalization. Name is one of it. If I put my real name in
the script, I believe no one can see the correct characters unless '?' signs
if we stick in English-only encodings. As a compromise and  a gesture of
integration, I use my "English name" here;-)

But it will be wonderful to see colorful names in SlackBuild, web page,
Changlog, etc.

Just my 2 cents ;-)

--
Cheers,