[Slackbuilds-users] Renaming package (haskell)

paul wisehart listreader at lupulin.net
Wed Dec 16 15:54:46 UTC 2009

Robby Workman wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 01:12:13 +1100
> Peter Wang <novalazy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-12-16, Mikko Varri <vmj at linuxbox.fi> wrote:
...<snip>...

>> Perhaps we should standardise on /usr/$lib/$ghc/$pkg ?  My only
>> concern is that the defaults might have been chosen for a reason;
>> otherwise this line works:
>>
>>     runhaskell Setup.lhs configure \
>>        --prefix=/usr \
>>        --libdir=/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX \
>>        --libsubdir=ghc-$GHC_VERSION/$SRCNAM-$VERSION \
>>        --docdir=/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION
>>
>> I won't update my scripts just for this change, though, as it makes no
>> functional difference.

My local hs-X11 SlackBuild (and others) ended up looking just like
that, and I started on your SlackBuild before you specified
"libsubdir".  (meaning we arrived at the same conclusion.)[0]

I look at Arch, Gentoo, ebuilds, and the BSDs when I want
to find best practices for package building.

So I agree with your convention, but with one more thing to
consider; Some package builders use:
   ghc-${GHC_VERSION}/${TARNAM}-${VERSION}/site-local/

which might be a good idea for all non default haskell
libs.

I also agree that it's a good idea to prefix the haskell
libe with "haskell-". ("hs-" would also work.)

I *would not* prefix xmonad[1], because:
1) It's very well known as "xmonad"
2) It installs an exec. into /usr/bin/, so it's not
    *just* a haskell lib.

Also to be totally haskell correct there should be post-install
hooks for registering the packages in haskell with:
ghc-pkg register
and
ghc-pkg unregister (when package removed.)

I was too lazy to put that in my local packages.
(Partly why they are still local.)
Currently, I manage those steps manually.

--paulw

[0] My haskell SlackBuilds ideas come mostly from Mikko Varri's
     Slackbuilds, and I put attribution at the top.
[1] This goes for other standalone haskell programs.