[Slackbuilds-users] Moving sbopkg to /usr/sbin and require root

Marco Bonetti marco.bonetti at slackware.it
Wed Feb 11 10:53:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, February 11, 2009 11:39, Serban Udrea wrote:
> Another point is that all the SlackBuilds I looked at have
>
> chown -R root:root .
>
> which doesn't work if you are a normal user (at least on my machine).
>
> At the moment I use
>
> chown -R $UID:$GROUPS .
>
> which seems to work OK but I do not know if it is acceptable, because I
> didn't submit any SlackBuild until now.
(note: I'm not a slackbuilds.org core developer)
It's wrong, since the standard is to have executables owned as root:root.
Slackware itself changed its own root:bin in favor of root:root some
version ago so, for simplicity sake, just stick with the standards :)
I use sbopkg as a tool like Gentoo emerge in order to fetch, build and
install programs system wide and I like this way. If you're worried about
building packages as root, use a separate (virtual, maybe) machine and
lock it down: build packages on that machine and install them on yours.

ciao

--
Marco Bonetti
BT3 EeePC enhancing module: http://sid77.slackware.it/bt3/