[Slackbuilds-users] Moving sbopkg to /usr/sbin and require root

Serban Udrea serban.udrea at skmail.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Feb 11 15:14:11 UTC 2009

Marco Bonetti wrote:
> On Wed, February 11, 2009 11:39, Serban Udrea wrote:
>> Another point is that all the SlackBuilds I looked at have
>>
>> chown -R root:root .
>>
>> which doesn't work if you are a normal user (at least on my machine).
>>
>> At the moment I use
>>
>> chown -R $UID:$GROUPS .
>>
>> which seems to work OK but I do not know if it is acceptable, because I
>> didn't submit any SlackBuild until now.
> (note: I'm not a slackbuilds.org core developer)

Neither I.

> It's wrong, since the standard is to have executables owned as root:root.

Not necessarily wrong, if you run the script as root you get the right
ownership. Moreover "chown root:root" can be applied in the post-install
script to what got installed, it's not necessary to have it in the
SlackBuild.

An alternative to what I'm doing now may be to define two variables in
the SlackBuild, say USR and GRP, which both default to root but may be
redefined when running the script.

> I use sbopkg as a tool like Gentoo emerge in order to fetch, build and
> install programs system wide and I like this way.

Your choice.

> If you're worried about
> building packages as root, use a separate (virtual, maybe) machine and
> lock it down: build packages on that machine and install them on yours.

Not everybody has a spare machine or the skill and/or time of playing
around with virtualisation. I miss at least the machine and the time.

Best regards,

Serban Udrea