[Slackbuilds-users] How to contribute ?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sun Jan 4 22:01:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:24:10 -0800 (PST)
Phillip Warner <pc_warner at yahoo.com> wrote:

> People who submit SlackBuild should diff the official SBo versions
> of their scripts to see how they were modified (if at all)

YES.

I recently ranted about this in a private mail to a submitter, so I
guess I should go ahead and throw it out for everyone.  We expect that
version updates should be based on *our* copy of the script, and we
expect new submissions to be pretty damn close to what's in the
template, except when there are obvious reasons why it shouldn't be.
I've rejected quite a few things due to requiring too many edits to
bring in line with our standard script format.  It's nothing major, but
look at it this way: consider how it would be if everyone that
submitted a script made us spend the extra ten or so minutes required
to fix and test those sorts of changes. Since we opened the submission
form back up for 12.2, we've gotten somewhere around 250 submissions.
250 times 10 is 2500 minutes.  That's 41 hours.  41 HOURS. That's *5*
workdays (a full week) of nothing but fixing stuff that shouldn't have
been sent to us in the first place.

Sorry to seem so harsh, but nobody is getting paid for this - we're
doing it in our spare time, and spending our spare time on repetitive
tasks that shouldn't have to be done at all is not on our list of
favorite things to do.

-RW