[Slackbuilds-users] How to contribute ?

Deak, Ferenc ferenc.deak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:21:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> I recently ranted about this in a private mail to a submitter, so I
> guess I should go ahead and throw it out for everyone.  We expect that
> version updates should be based on *our* copy of the script, and we
> expect new submissions to be pretty damn close to what's in the
> template, except when there are obvious reasons why it shouldn't be.
> I've rejected quite a few things due to requiring too many edits to
> bring in line with our standard script format.  It's nothing major, but
> look at it this way: consider how it would be if everyone that
> submitted a script made us spend the extra ten or so minutes required
> to fix and test those sorts of changes. Since we opened the submission
> form back up for 12.2, we've gotten somewhere around 250 submissions.
> 250 times 10 is 2500 minutes.  That's 41 hours.  41 HOURS. That's *5*
> workdays (a full week) of nothing but fixing stuff that shouldn't have
> been sent to us in the first place.
>
> Sorry to seem so harsh, but nobody is getting paid for this - we're
> doing it in our spare time, and spending our spare time on repetitive
> tasks that shouldn't have to be done at all is not on our list of
> favorite things to do.

Perhaps you can use the package contributors a lot more.
If you can open the pending queue for the users of this list, we can test the
pending packages, and we can catch common errors. Sometimes there
can be a user who knows more about a special area for a special package
than an SBo administrator.
We can discuss about pending packages in this list or in a new one.

Ferenc Deak