[Slackbuilds-users] Spranq Ecofont Truetype

LukenShiro lukenshiro at ngi.it
Mon Jan 12 11:15:45 UTC 2009

I would intend to submit an ecologically-compliant TTF font, made by a
Dutch company. According to its author, its main purpose is to save ink
when printing, so I think it could be useful to use and adopt it.

The problem seems to be its problematic license:
this company claims the software to be distributed under GPL, but it
adds some restrictions in additional paragraphs who somewhat forbid some
behaviours (mainly non-commercial and intellectual property clauses: it
can't be sold at all, it can't be developed separately, its underlying
technique can't be used in other fonts), without any prior
authorization:
http://www.ecofont.eu/assets/files/Ecofont_licence.pdf
Furthermore, this font is based upon Bitstream Vera, who already has a
partly GPL-incompatible license:
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/#Final_Bitstream_Vera_Fonts
(it can't be sold alone, etc..).

According to the paragraphs' legal meaning, it would seem to apply all
GPL license's clauses, including free($) and free(libre) redistribution,
_except_ for above limitations. On the other hand it can be maybe
considered a "derivative work" (being based on Bitstream Vera), so it
most likely has to comply with B.V. license, as well.
B.V. can be modified but you definitely must change its name; for this
one, it is not clear if it can or cannot be modified/adapted/patched at
all (I'd say even slight modification is prohibited, no matter if you
change name or not).

It's simply a mess .... :-//
Is this font, nonetheless, acceptable for SlackBuilds.org?

P.S. BTW debian distribution's maintainers have radically rejected it,
but we all know they are really strict in what is or is not 100% free
software as in freedom to be included and maintained in that distro.
In this case, being a font and not requiring special measures to be
installed, I believe maybe freedom can be considered at a different
meaning and floor, compared to a so-called 'traditional' software. But,
obviously, the decision is up to you, admins.

--
GNU/Linux * Slackware 'current'
GNU/Linux * Bluewhite64 'current'