[Slackbuilds-users] Future Build Scripts

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Wed Jul 1 04:12:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
Darrell Anderson <humanreadable at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When 13.0 is released, will the slackbuilds.org build scripts
> continue supporting the older tgz format, the newer txz format, or
> the option to use either?

After some discussion, we have decided that we will continue to
use .tgz for all of our scripts, at least for 13.0.  There will not be
a variable to make this configurable.

We might revisit this again for 13.1, depending on how many other
changes we have to make for that release.  The 13.0 release has brought
so many changes to us that we're a bit overwhelmed at the moment, and
the package compression is just *way* down the ladder with respect to
things that are actually important.

As an aside (a related one though), disk space is cheap.  Anyone using
SlackBuilds most likely has plenty of disk space available, so
compression of the packages is not a huge issue anyway.  The added time
required to build a txz package isn't exactly trivial either, but
as with everything else, stuff that's important to one person might
not be to another person.  In any event, if one prefers to make .txz
packages with our scripts, sed will be their friend.

-RW