[Slackbuilds-users] Future Build Scripts

Eric Hameleers eha at alienbase.nl
Mon Jun 29 10:50:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, [ISO-8859-1] Niklas 'Nille' Åkerström wrote:

> Timothy Pollard wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:10:59 +0200 (CEST)
>> Eric Hameleers <eha at alienbase.nl> wrote:

>>> It's really quite simple Darrell:
>>>
>>> We are a site that hosts SlackBuild scripts, not packages. It is not about
>>> supporting any particular package format. If you want to use the old .tgz
>>> packages, then by all means edit the last line of the script and change
>>> the
>>> extension of the package which is going to be created. These scripts are
>>> not
>>> set in concrete.
>>>
>>> When we start adding scripts for Slackware 13.0 in our repository, you can
>>> expect that they will (or should) support *all* of Slackware 13.0's
>>> features
>>> - which includes the new package formats. When we sign off a script after
>>> our
>>> internal QA round we will have tested it on a full install of Slackware.
>>>
>>> Regards, Eric
>>>

>> To clarify, are we going to be building .tgz or .txz by default? I'm in
>> favour
>> of .tgz because they'll archive faster, and disk space if fairly cheap, but
>> don't really mind either way.
>>
> Scripts doesn't gain anything from the new format since the space and
> bandwidth doesn't matter on SlackBuilds. (and i can't see that the few
> sources that SBo host would use the new compression format due to backward
> capability since then they would need to have them twice on the server)
> And since the only difference is .txz or .tgz in the builds then you can use
> what you want when you build them.
> So i don't find this very important and i don't think that the SBo team
> decided yet but as far as i care .tgz will still be fine.
> Thats my 2cents
>
> /Nille

Just to add clarity: I am in favour of using .tgz like before. It's what I
use for my own packages as well. We will reach an agreement as site admins
about whether we should or should not edit every script to use .tgz . As a
service to users of our site who run Slackware 12.2 or older, it would be
good to ensure the use of the .tgz extension in the scripts, but that is
my personal opinion, and I do not hold a majority vote ;-)

Eric

--
Eric Hameleers
Email: alien at slackware.com
Jabber: alien at jabber.xs4all.nl
Gpg fingerprint: F2CE 1B92 EE1F 2C0C E97E  581E 5E56 AAAF A75C BDA0