[Slackbuilds-users] Missing soft link in package "virtualbox-ose-addons"

Jorge Gajon jorge.gajon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:13:29 UTC 2009

Hi, I've been playing with VirtualBox recently and I have a Slackware
system running as a guest on a virtual machine. I built and installed
the "virtualbox-ose-addons" package from SBo.

Everything worked okay except for mounting VirtualBox shared folders
from within the guest. The reason was that the "mount" program could
not locate the helper program needed to do the mounting. "mount" tries
to find helper programs at the "/sbin" directory, but the
"mount.vboxsf" program built by the slackbuild was installed at
"/usr/sbin".

A simple soft link resolves the issue. I suggest adding these two
lines to the "doinst.sh" of the slackbuild:

( cd sbin ; rm -rf mount.vboxsf )
( cd sbin ; ln -sf /usr/sbin/mount.vboxsf mount.vboxsf )

With the link in the correct place, it's possible to mount shared
folders by specifying them in fstab or from the command line, like
this:

    $ mount -t vboxsf Shared /mnt/vboxshared

or in "/etc/fstab":

    Shared    /mnt/vboxshared    vboxsf    defaults    0    0

Thank you,

- Jorge