[Slackbuilds-users] rxvt-unicode suggestion

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Wed Mar 25 20:46:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 02:09:03 +0200
Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM, Marco Pessotto <melmothx at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I've noticed that the SlackBuild for rxvt-unicode enables rings and
> > bells, but still doesn't apply the patch for the 256 colors,
> > included in doc/urxvt-8.2-256color.patch  (which is a nice thing to
> > have).
> >
> > Something like
> >
> > cat doc/urxvt-8.2-256color.patch | patch -p1
> >
> > before the configure
> >
> > and passing --enable-xterm-colors to the configure will do the job
> > (eventually, passing a variable 256COLORS=YES to the script)
>
> Although i cant speak in favour of the maintainer of the script, i can
> guess it doesnt apply it cause its an unmaintained patch not supported
> by the upstream developers despite the fact that its part of its
> source.
> Following the Slackware philosophy that way.
> As the developer of the application says urxvt does not support 256
> colours. You have two options if you need such a feature. a) Patch the
> application yourself.
> b) Use xterm.

I personally don't see a problem with this, assuming there's nothing in
the upstream docs indicating otherwise.  I'm CC'ing the listed
maintainer.  I don't recall if Duane is still active or not, but if
enough time passes to indicate that he's not, then feel free to assume
maintainership of this one and make the changes yourself then submit it
to us.

-RW