[Slackbuilds-users] Slackbuilds in python ?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri May 8 14:56:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009 09:30:43 +0200
Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> wrote:

> do you have any example of slackbuilds written in another scripting
> language than bash, say, for example, in Python ?

I don't, and while I won't say it's a bad idea, I will say that we
won't accept one here.

> I am planning to write one myself to see whether it could benefit of
> the Python strengh.

Nothing wrong with that.

> Why ask ? Because I am writting a more complex slackbuild than I am
> used to (with multiple result packages) so I am writting many times
> the same code over and over. Maybe having a slackbuild python object
> with good methods could be valuable here.
>
> At the bare minimum, are functions (bash functions) accepted on SBo ?

Putting some of the code duplication into sh functions is perfectly
understandable -- for example:

  config_pkg() {
    ./configure \
      --prefix=/usr \
      ... remainder of options ... \
  }

I seem to remember at least one script in the Slackware tree that does
this in a few places, but I can't recall which one right now.

All that being said, keep in mind that we here at SlackBuilds.org want
to have a 1:1 translation of source:package for a script, so if a
script builds multiple packages at a time, it's not something that
we're going to accept here.

-RW