[Slackbuilds-users] Sbopkg and Slackware64 Update

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Thu May 28 02:04:44 UTC 2009

(Copy of a post made to LinuxQuestions.org forum):

Question: Will sbopkg work on Slackware64? Why are some scripts failing
that I build with sbopkg on Slackware64?

Answer: Sbopkg is undergoing a /lot/ of work in its subversion
repository in preparation for the next major release. Part of this work
is to fully support Slackware64 insofar as the scripts at
SlackBuilds.org will support Slackware64. This generally requires two
things: (a) exporting ARCH in sbopkg.conf[1] and (b) a SlackBuild script
that has been checked or updated for Slackware64 by possibly including
the LIBDIRSUFFIX assignments, --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} passed to
./configure, and any other necessary changes. The SlackBuilds.org
template (http://slackbuilds.org/template.SlackBuild) now provides the
bits that are necessary for most scripts to work on Slackware64,
although manual tweaking is often necessary. Some scripts may not need
tweaking at all.

Sbopkg simply provides an interface to build packages from the scripts
at SlackBuilds.org. If one of the SlackBuild scripts does not build
properly in sbopkg on Slackware64, then the cause is likely that the
SlackBuild script itself has not yet been updated by its maintainer, in
which case it will not work whether or not sbopkg is used. It is up to
each script's maintainer to update his/her scripts at SlackBuilds.org.

Ultimately, please just keep in mind that Slackware64 has not been
released in its final form and the scripts at SlackBuilds.org have not
yet been fully checked to work on Slackware64. Since we are in a period
of transition, using sbopkg on Slackware64 is a 'YMMV' proposition. It
is not officially supported. I am using sbopkg on Slackware64-current
and it works fine for those SlackBuilds that have been updated after
exporting ARCH in sbopkg.conf. Since I plan to stay on Slackware64, and
since I eat my own dogfood, making sbopkg work flawlessly on Slackware64
is a high priority for me. :-)

Sbopkg is not officially supported by SlackBuilds.org, so if you have
any issues or questions with sbopkg itself, please do not report these
things to any of the other SlackBuilds.org admins. Instead, please ask
me via email, IRC (#sbopkg on freenode), or on the sbopkg ML
(preferred). Check the sbopkg homepage for more information on that.
Finally, if one of your favorite SlackBuild scripts at SlackBuilds.org
has not been updated, consider asking the maintainer to update it.

[1] For Slackware64 users, then, this would need to be added to
sbopkg.conf: export ARCH=${ARCH:-x86_64}

--
Chess Griffin