[Slackbuilds-users] [FYI]SlackBuild for python modules should be architecture dependent

paul wisehart listreader at lupulin.net
Fri May 29 01:11:51 UTC 2009

paul wisehart wrote:
> Grissiom wrote:
>> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:36, Eric Hameleers <alien at slackbuilds.org
>> <mailto:alien at slackbuilds.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Grissiom
>>
>>     If you write a SlackBuild that installs purepython files which are
>>     architecture independent you will indeed still have a "lib vs lib64"
>>     difference in the final package depending on the architecture you
>>     create the package on.
>>     But since we are SlackBuilds.org and not LinuxPackages.net we do not
>>     have to worry about where the final package gets built and
>> installed -
>>     the person who compiles it will know.
>
> Are the *.pyc files arch independent?  I don't know or care, but that's
> enough reason for me to want common slackbuilds, and discrete packages.

I guess i do care :)
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/pytut/CompiledPythonfiles.html:
"The contents of the ?spam.pyc? file are platform independent, so a Python module directory can be shared by machines of different architectures."

But I still think they should be diff packages if they install into
different directories, because "everything is a file", so the contents
of the package *are* different.

--
paul "maybe i should do the 1 min. google search *before* i post" wisehart