[Slackbuilds-users] zaptel on slackware 13.0

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Mon Nov 9 20:56:14 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 14:26:04 Alan Hicks wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:13:47 -0600
>
> Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> > Not going to happen.  IIRC, zaptel is no longer used by asterisk;
> > look into dahdi-linux and dahdi-tools instead.
>
> That isn't entirely true.  Asterisk will still use zaptel drivers
> if it finds them, but it will prefer the dahdi-linux drivers and
> tools over zaptel if both are installed on a given system.

I don't recall seeing this anywhere. What I did read:

http://blogs.digium.com/2008/05/19/zaptel-project-being-renamed-to-dahdi/

> If you have an older machine, you can retain your existing zaptel
> compile and upgrade Asterisk as you life and everything _should_
> still work.

Uh ...

"Asterisk 1.6.0 will use DAHDI exclusively (it will not have support
 for Zaptel), although this will be done in a highly backwards-
compatible way so that disruption to existing dialplans and
configurations will be minimized.

"Asterisk 1.4 will continue to have support for Zaptel, although it
will be enhanced to also transparently support DAHDI instead, and the
documentation (and default configuration files) will encourage new
users to use DAHDI instead of Zaptel.

"Asterisk 1.2 will be unaffected by these changes."

So no, it depends on your version, and once you upgrade beyond 1.4.x
there's no going back to Zaptel.

It's all just a name change anyway. Stupid lawyer crap.