[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20091006

Serban Udrea serban.udrea at skmail.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Oct 6 10:39:47 UTC 2009

Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 October 2009 10:54:41 Serban Udrea wrote:
>> Robby Workman wrote:
>>> office/scribus: Updated for version 1.3.5.1.
>>>   Thanks to Heinz Wiesinger.  --rworkman
>> Hello!
>>
>> There is a recommendation/warning about this in the release notes of the
>> scribus developers:
> [...]
>> Maybe it would be good not to drop 1.3.3.13 and add a warning in the
>> README file from the 1.3.5.1 slackbuild directory.
>
> Ok, first a clarification that this was not an update from 1.3.3.x, but from a
> 1.3.5 release candidate version. 1.3.3.13 was never in the 13.0 repository,
> and will never be, at least not with me as the maintainer.

My mistake, I did not notice what the previous version for 13.0 was.

> I do know that upstream recommends using 1.3.3.x, but decided to go for 1.3.5
> anyway, because it is based on Qt4 instead of Qt3, which means easier
> installation and maintenance for both me and the users. Additionally I have
> been working with 1.3.5 enough to say that it works reasonably well.
>
> If someone wants 1.3.3.x instead, he's free to edit either the 12.2 or the
> 13.0 SlackBuild himself.
>
> I don't consider a warning to be necessary, since we don't do warnings on
> beta/rc/svn versions either.

I would say that this is something which depends on upstream. For
instance, mplayer developers actually recommend compiling from svn. I
don't have the time to check the respective upstream
recommendations/warnings for all beta/rc/svn packages on
Slackbuilds.org, but in this specific case there is a clear one and the
user should be made aware of it.

Best regards,

Serban Udrea