[Slackbuilds-users] Problem with libsynce SlackBuilds

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:37:10 UTC 2009

<didier.spaier at epsm.fr> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 October 2009 17:08:47 Eric Hameleers wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Didier Spaier wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have Slackware64-13.0, multilib following Eric's instructions.
>> >
>> > Running libsynce.SlackBuild from slackbuilds.org fail during make because
>> > of: "/usr/lib/libhal.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format";
>> > same problem with /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so and /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so
>> >
>> > After "removepkg glib2-compat32 dbus-compat32 hal-compat32" I could run
>> > the SlackBuild and get libsynce package
>> >
>> > I did check that I ran the SlackBuild with ARCH=x86_64
>> >
>> > I do not know if this problem lie in the SlackBuild script, libsynce's
>> > source archive, compat-32 packages or between the chair and the keyboard.
>> >
>> > Didier
>>
>> Check the section of our FAQ: http://slackbuilds.org/faq/#x86_64 and
>> especially adding this line to the configure command is important, it
>> was not present by default in a lot of our Slackware 13.0 submissions
>> because it is not needed when you run pure-64bit Slackware:
>>
>> LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX}" \
>>
>> In a multilib setup, it is important that you point the tools to the
>> lib64 directories first.
>>
>> Cheers, Eric
>
> Thanks Eric, it worked. So alas my third hypothesis was the good one :-(
>
> While I am at it, one more silly question: in SlackBuilds that include the line:
> ARCH=${ARCH:-i486}
>
> Why not replace it by:
> ARCH=${ARCH:-$(uname -m)}
>
> so that in most case it be no more necessary to set ARCH at run time when it's not i486 ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Didier

Didier,

On my 32-bits machine 'uname -m' returns i686.
Setting ARCH to i686 building packages means they won't work on older
boxes like a '486.
Yeah, I know... who has these machines nowadays...
(answer: I have one running Slackware still!)
And believe me, I do not want to compile packages for my '486 on that
box, I prefer to compile them on a newer machine and copy the result.
:)

But I might be a very rare exception and I could set ARCH=i486 manually.

Well, just a thought for the discussion...

Niels