[Slackbuilds-users] Problem with libsynce SlackBuilds

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 20:17:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Didier Spaier <didier.spaier at epsm.fr> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 October 2009 21:37:10 Niels Horn wrote:
>> <didier.spaier at epsm.fr> wrote:

>> > Thanks Eric, it worked. So alas my third hypothesis was the good one :-(
>> >
>> > While I am at it, one more silly question: in SlackBuilds that include
>> > the line: ARCH=${ARCH:-i486}
>> >
>> > Why not replace it by:
>> > ARCH=${ARCH:-$(uname -m)}
>> >
>> > so that in most case it be no more necessary to set ARCH at run time when
>> > it's not i486 ?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Didier
>> >

>> Didier,
>>
>> On my 32-bits machine 'uname -m' returns i686.
>> Setting ARCH to i686 building packages means they won't work on older
>> boxes like a '486.
>> Yeah, I know... who has these machines nowadays...
>> (answer: I have one running Slackware still!)
>> And believe me, I do not want to compile paNiels, ckages for my '486 on that
>> box, I prefer to compile them on a newer machine and copy the result.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> But I might be a very rare exception and I could set ARCH=i486 manually.
>>
>> Well, just a thought for the discussion...
>>
>> Niels
>>
> Niels,
>
> You remind me of the first desktop computer I used, back in 1978 or so: it had a 8080 if I remember well :-)
>
> Back to the point: with my proposal, more generally one will certainly have to set ARCH at run-time if he/she runs a SlackBuild on a machine which has a different architecture than
> the package's target. But my guess is that most SlackBuilds users won't do that, and that for those who will that won't be an issue.
>
> Didier

Didier,

I still *have* my old desktop running a Z80 (=8080 compatible) :)
But also two emulators for Linux with SlackBuilds on SBo...

I *think* most official packages are compiled with the -march-i486
flag, maybe for compatibility reasons?
I wouldn't mind setting ARCH=i486 on my 32-bits box to compile
packages compatible with my museum piece. I know I am the minority
here :)

Niels