[Slackbuilds-users] How far should doinst.sh go?

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:09:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Erik Hanson <erik at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2009, at  9:03 AM, Niels Horn wrote:
>
>> Should the doinst.sh just do the basic, like updating the menu, check
>> /etc/(program) config files etc.?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Or, should it also:
>> - set up a MySQL database if the software needs it
>
> No.
>
>> - create needed users & groups
>
> No.
>
>> - change crontab
>
> No.
>
>> - etc...
>> (almost like a Windows installer ;) )
>
> Most certainly not. :)
>
>> What is the correct way: just install the basic elements and let the
>> user do the rest of the setting up, or do as much as possible?
>
> Let the user do it, you can put some post-install instructions into a
> README.SLACKWARE file, there are numerous examples in the repo.
>
> --
> Erik Hanson
> http://slackbuilds.org/

OK, understood!

I actually like the way the MySQL package is installed: it is all
there, together with some scripts to configure it *IF* you want to do
it that way.

Since I work in the support business I have nightmares of users
complaining "Hey, I installed your <xyz> package but when I click on
the icon nothing works!" :D
I admit they are usually not Slackware users though, I guess SBo has a
more 'refined' customer base. ;)

Niels